Friday, April 10, 2009

I’m a Barbie Girl!

What woman doesn't have fond memories of her Barbies? I know I do (except a lot of my "Barbies" were actually Jem and the Holograms dolls). The endless hours of dress-up, soap opera story lines and of course for the design divas, the arranging and re-arranging of the furniture.

Good news! There's a new full-size Barbie Home Collection on the horizon!

BARBIElouisXVI

 

While perusing May's Chatelaine I came across a beautiful Louis XVI oval back side chair with a stylized Barbie on the back. Apparently the collection includes cushions, art, bedding, rugs and more, ranging in price from $40 to $2000. Sounds pretty reasonable!

 

 

Bad news! I can't figure out where to get it!

I tried Chatelaine’s Shopping Guide, but it doesn’t seem to be there.  I’ve Googled every combination of words I can think of only to end up looking at doll sized furniture.  My next step is to call Chatelaine, but since it’s Good Friday they’re not open…so we wait.

I did, however, come across Jonathan Adler Loves Barbie.  This “happy chic” American designer made Barbie’s Malibu Dream House a reality in time for her 50th birthday last month.  According to several sources, his Barbie home collection is set to hit US shelves in September 2009.  It must be all hush-hush as I can’t find a whole lot about it.  I’m also somewhat uncertain as to whose home these pieces are for…ours or Barbie’s.  The Louis XVI chair seems a little more elegant than Jonathan Adler’s style, which is bright, funky and a little kitschy. 

  originalbarbiehouse

 Barbie’s original cardboard home in 1960

 large_Barbie_dream-house

Barbie’s new 3500 sq.ft Malibu dream house designed by Jonathan Adler

 barbiebedroom

 So this is where Barbie and Ken…uh…nevermind 

1 comment:

  1. Check out crackerbarrel.com for the Dolly Parton rocker...it goes with the release of her new CD. Backwoods Barbie....they are great! And I have to show the chair to a friend of mine!

    ReplyDelete