Friday, April 3, 2009

Speaking of Sweet Things...

Although this isn't design related, (unless I'm going to turn this blog into a lifestyle blog a la Martha Stewart, though as my husband can attest, I am NO Martha Stewart!) I had to share this coffee cake recipe because it's so simple and so good!

It also makes your house smell fantastic and would be great to bake before an open house if you're selling.


QUICK COFFEE CAKE

1 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
2 tsps. baking powder
4 tbsps. butter or margerine
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1tbsp. sugar mixed with
1 1/2 tsps. cinnamon, reserved
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees
-Butter an 8" sq. cake pan
-Mix sugar, flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl
-Work in butter or marg. until mixture resembles coarse meal
-Add egg and milk and blend until you get a sticky batter
-Spoon into pan and smooth out
(it's very sticky, so don't worry about it being
really smooth - the lumpiness gives it character!)
-Sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mixture evenly over top
-Bake for 20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean
(it took 30 minutes in my oven)
This coffee cake is great because it's quite plain, so you can dress it up by adding chopped nuts, fruit, chocolate, even some instant coffee! Get creative! My mum (who gave me this recipe) suggested doubling the sugar/cinnamon mixture and swirling half through the batter. Try it at home and let me know how it turned out!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy!! I'm going to try it for sure. I wonder how it would taste with blueberries....

    I like the idea of swirling the sugar & cinnamon through the batter :-)

    Kelly @ DesignTies

    ReplyDelete